Sara L. Douglas, PhD, RN
The Arline H. & Curtis F. Garvin Professorship in Nursing Excellence and the Assistant Dean for Research
- Caregiving in Advanced Cancer
- Distance Caregivers
- Neurobiological Mechanisms of Self-Management of Caregivers
- Chronically Critically Ill Caregivers and Patients
Active Research Projects
- Principal Investigator. “Closer: A Videoconference Intervention for Distance Caregivers.” NIH/NINR, RO1NRO15464.
- Pilot Project Principal Investigator. “The Mediating Effects of Decentering on Self-Management of Stress and End of Life Planning in Caregivers of Cancer Patients. Pilot study in Center Grant (Moore, PI): “SMART Center II: Brain-Behavior Connection in Self-Management Science.” NIH/NINR, P30 NR015326-02S2.
- Principal Investigator. “Mapping Complex Influences on Aggressiveness of End of Life Cancer Care,” NIH/NINR, R01NR014856.
- Statistical Consultant. “Innovations Round II: Patient Navigation,” CMS Demonstration Project (Levitan, PI). CMS, 1C1CMS331349-01-00.
Selected Completed Research Projects
- Co-Investigator. “Mapping the Complexity of End of Life Transitions in Chronically Critically Ill.” NIH/NINR: RO1-NR013322-01. Completed: 2014.
- Co-Investigator. “Improving the Quality of Advanced Cancer Care with Disease Management.” NIH/NINR: RO1-NR010787. Completed: 2011.
- Co-Investigator. “Disease Management of the Chronically Critically Ill.” NIH/NINR: R01-NR05207. Completed: 2005.
- Research Design
- BSN, Nursing, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- MSN, Adult Health and Illness, University of Pennsylvania, PA
- NP, Adult Nurse Practitioner, Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, OH
- PhD, Education: Research, Statistics, and Evaluation, Illinois State University, Normal, IL
- Douglas SL, Mazanec, P., Lipson, A., Leuchtag, M. (In Press). Distance Caregiving a Family Member with Cancer: A Review the Literature on Distance Caregiving & Recommendations for Future Research. World Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- Douglas SL, Daly, BJ, Lipson, A. (In Press). Relationship between Physical and Psychological Status of Cancer Patients and Caregivers. Western Journal of Nursing Research.
- Douglas SL, Daly BJ, Rowbottom J, Hejal R, O’Toole E, Burant C. Outcome expectations and goals of care among MDs, RNs, and Family Surrogates for CCI adults. Crit Care Med 2014, 42(12) Suppl: 394.
- Douglas SL, Daly BJ. Effect of an integrated cancer support team on caregiver satisfaction with end of life care of patients with advanced cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum 2014;41(4):E248-255.
- Daly BJ, Douglas SL, Lipson AR, Gunzler D. Clinical trial of a supportive care team for patients with advanced cancer. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2013;46(6):775-84.
- Douglas SL, Daly BJ. The impact of patient quality of life and spirituality upon caregiver depression for those with advanced cancer. Palliative and Supportive Care 2013;11,1-8.
- Douglas SL, Daly BJ, Lipson AR. Neglect of quality-of-life considerations in intensive care unit family meetings for long-stay intensive care unit patients. Critical Care Medicine 2012;40(2):1-7.
- Mazanec SR, Daly BJ, Douglas SL, Lipson AL. Work productivity and health of informal caregivers of persons with advanced cancer. Research in Nursing and Health 2011;34(6), 483-95.
- Daly, BJ, Douglas SL, O’Toole, E, Gordon, NH, Hejal, R, Peerless, J, Rowbottom, J, Garland, A, Lilly, C, Wiencek C, and Hickman, R. Effectiveness Trial of an Intensive Communication Structure for Families of Long-stay ICU Patients. Chest 2010;138(6):1340-8.
- Douglas SL, Daly, BJ, O’Toole, E, Hickman, RL. Depression among white and nonwhite caregivers of the chronically critically ill. Journal of Critical Care 2010;25(2):364-8.
- Daly, BJ, Douglas SL, Lipson, AR, Foley, H. Needs of older caregivers of advanced cancer patients. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2009;57(S2), 293-295.
- Douglas SL, Daly, BJ, Kelley, CG, O’Toole, E, & Montenegro, H. Impact of a disease management program upon caregivers of chronically critically ill patients. Chest 2005;128(6), 3925-3936.