Shirley M. Moore, PhD, RN, FAAN
The Edward J. and Louise Mellen Professor of Nursing; Associate Dean for Research
- Recovery following Cardiac Events
- Health Behavior Change
- Exercise following Cardiac Events
- Quality and Safety
- Principal Investigator, Targeting Obesity and Blood Pressure in Urban Youth., E. Borawski, Co-Principal Investigators. NIH. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. UO1 HL103622. 8/14/10-5/30/17.
- Co-Investigator,Patient-Identified Personal Strengths (PIPS) vs. Deficit-Focused Models of Care. K. Stange, Principal Investigator, Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI). 4/15/2013-4/14/16. $1,484,081.00
- Principal Investigator, Full Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Self-Management Research, NIH, National Institute for Nursing Research. 3P30NR010676 - 03S1. 9/18/09-8/31/12.
- Principal Investigator, Administrative Supplement: Center of Excellence to Build the Science of Self-Management: A Systems Approach, Core Consolidation for Behavioral Science Measurement Lab. NIH, Institute for Nursing Research. 3 P30NR010676 - 04S1. 9/29/10-9/28/12.
- Principal Investigator, Center of Excellence to Build the Science of Self-Management: A Systems Approach. NIH, National Institute for Nursing Research. P30NRO10676 9/29/07-6/30/13.
- Co-Investigator, Improving Urinary Continence and Quality of Life in Prostate Cancer Patients. A. Zhang, Principal Investigator. NIH / National Cancer Institute (R01 CA127493). 1/09-11/13.
- Co-Investigator, Self-management and Cognitive Impairment in Adults with Heart Failure. J. Hughes, M. Dolansky, Co-Principal Investigators. NIH, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. RO1 HL096710. 4/5/10-1/31/15.
- Co-Investigator,Nonvisual Foot Examination for People with Diabetes and Visual Impairment, A. Williams, Principal Investigator. NIH, National Institute for Nursing Research. R21 NR12513-01A1. 7/15/2011 - 12/31/13.
- Co-Investigator, Developing and Testing a System CHANGE Intervention in Stroke Survivors. M. Plow, Principal Investigator. American Heart Association, Beginning Grant-in-Aid (Greater Rivers Affiliate) BGIA7710003. 07/01/11-06/30/14.
- Co-Investigator,Targeted Management Intervention for African-American Men with TIA or Stroke. M. Sajatovic, Principal Investigator. NIH, National Institute for Nursing Research 1 R21 NR013001-01A1. 05/01/12-4/30/14.
- Consultant,Advancing the Science of Symptom Management and Support for Cancer Patients and Their Caregivers. Cornelia Ruland, Principal Investigator. Norwegian Cancer Society, 9/07-6/12.
- Principal Investigator, "Improving Long-term Exercise in Older Cardiac Patients." NIH, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, 5R01 HL084767. 7/10/06-3/31/10.
- Principal Investigator, "CHANGE: An Intervention to Enhance Exercise Maintenance in Cardiac Patients," National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health, RO1 NR04704, 2000-2005.
- Principal Investigator, "The Science of Self-Management: A Systems Approach," NIH/National Institute of Nursing Research, P30 NR010676.
- Co-Director, Education Core, Cleveland CTSA. Pamela Davis, Principal Investigator, Richard Rudick, Co-Principal Investigator. NIH, 5UL1 RR024989 9/17/07-5/31/17. $66,154,473.00
- Sponsor/Mentor, Promoting Cancer Screening for Mothers using a Daughter-initiated Approach. Maghboeba Mosavel, Principal Investigator. NIH. National Cancer Institute. K01CA132960. 7/01/08- 6/30/13.
- Leadership Committee Member, Quality and Safety Education for Nurses, Phase III: Embeding New Competencies. Linda Cronenwett, Principal Investigator. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. 10/08-9/10.
- Co-Investigator, Interdisciplinary Training to Improve Diabetes Care: the ReSPECT Trial. David Aron, Principal Investigator. Health Services Research & Development, Department of Veterans Affairs. ED 08-414. 10/09-9/12.
- Advisory Committee, Cleveland Center of Excellence in Interprofessional Education in Primary Care. Department of Veterans Affairs. 1/11-12/15.
- Co-Investigator, Engaging Students in Their Communities: Linking Diabetes, Obesity and Heart Disease: BioMed Tech Students Translating and Exploring Medicine. L. Cuttler & V. Davillier, Co-Principal Investigators. NIH-NCRR 1R25RR032206. 5/15/2011-4/30/2016.
- Mentor, Midwest Nursing Research Society Mentorship Grant Award. C. Murrock, Mentee. 6/1/12-5/31/13.
- Principal Investigator (Project Director). "Multiple Morbidities in Vulnerable Populations: Nurse Scientist Training." NIH, National Institute for Nursing Research, T32 NR009761. 5/18/06-4/30/11.
- Steering Committee, Faculty, Mentor, "Case/Cleveland Clinic Clinical Research Training Program." R. Rudick, Principal Investigator. HHS, Health Resources and Services Administration. 7/1/05-6/30/08.
- Epistemology and Theory in Nursing
- Interdisciplinary Team Models of Care
- Continuous Quality Improvement
- BSN, Nursing, Kent State University, Kent, OH
- MSN, Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, OH
- PhD, Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, OH
- Webel, A.R., Moore, S.M., Hanson, J.E. & Salata, R.A. (2013) The Rationale, Design and Initial Efficacy of System CHANGE-HIV: A Systems-Based Self-Management Intervention to Improve Physical Activity. Journal of AIDS Clinical Research. (4) 200. doi:10.4172/2155-6113.1000200. NIHMS ID 477640
- Reimer, AP., Clochesy, JM., & Moore SM. (2013). Early Examination of the Middle-range Theory of Flight Nursing Expertise.Applied Nursing Research. Published online before print. NIHMS514251, PMID 24050915
- Spring B, Ockene JK, Gidding SS, Mozaffarian D, Moore S, Rosal MC, Brown MD, Vafiadis DK, Cohen DL, Burke LE, Lloyd-Jones D; on behalf of the American Heart Association Behavior Change Committee of the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention, Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health, Council for High Blood Pressure Research, and Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing. (2013). Better population health through behavior change in adults: a call to action. Circulation. [published online before print October 7, 2013, 10.1161/01.cir.0000435173.25936.e1.]
- Moore, S.M., Borawski, E A.., Cuttler, L., Ievers-Landis, C.E., Love, T. (2013). IMPACT: A multi-Level family and school intervention targeting obesity in urban youth. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 36, 574-586.
- Plow, M., Moore, S., Kirwan, J., Katzan, I., Alberts, J. (2013). Evaluating a System CHANGE weight management intervention in stroke survivors: rationale and research protocol. Trials. 14, 1-7.
- Webel, A.R., Moore, S.M., Hanson, J.E., Patel, S.R., Schmotzer, B., & Salata, R.A. (2013). Improving sleep hygiene behavior in adults living with HIV/AIDS: A randomized control pilot study of the System CHANGET-HIV intervention. Applied Nursing Research.26(2):85-91.
- Børøsund, E., Cvancarova, M., Ekstedt, M., Moore, S.M. & Ruland, C.M. (2013). How user characteristics affect use patterns in Web-based illness management support for patients with breast and prostate cancer. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 15(3), [E-pub ahead of print].
- Ruland, C. M., Andersen, T., Jeneson, A., Moore, S., Grimsbo, G.H., Børøsund, E., Ellison, M.C. (2013). Effects of an internet support system to assist cancer patients in reducing symptom distress: A randomized controlled trial. CANCER NURSING: An International Journal for Cancer Care.36(1):6-17. Selected as the winner of CANCER NURSING’s Annual Research Award for 2013.
- Patrician, P.A., Dolansky, M.A., Pair, V., Bates, M., Moore, S.M. & Splaine, M. (2013). The Veteran's Affairs National Quality Scholars Program: A model for interprofessional education in quality and safety. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 28(1):24-32.
- Moore, S.M. (2012). The European HANDOVER Project: The role of nursing. British Medical Journal of Quality and Safety.Dec; 21 Suppl 1:i6-8.
- Melnyk, B.M., Morrison-Beedy, D., Moore, S.M. (2012). Nuts and Bolts of Designing Intervention Studies. In B. Melnyk and D. Morrison-Beedy (Eds). Designing, Conducting, Analyzing and Funding Intervention Research: A Practical Guide for Success. (pp. 37-63). New York:Springer Publishers.
- Moore, S.M. & Roudebush, M. (2012). Writing Progress and Final Reports. In B. Melnyk and D.
- Morrison-Beedy (Eds). Designing, Conducting, Analyzing and Funding Intervention Research: A Practical Guide for Success. (pp. 399-420). New York: Springer Publishers.
- Ogrinc, GS, Headrick, LA., Moore, SM., Barton, AJ., Dolansky, MA. & Madigosky, WS. (2012). Fundamentals of Health Care Improvement: A Guide to Improving Your Patients’ Care. (2nd Ed). Joint Commission Resources & Institute for Healthcare Improvement.
- Moore, SM., Dolansky, MA & Singh, M. (2012). Interprofessional Approaches to Quality and Safety Education. In G. Sherwood & J. Barnsteiner (Eds). Quality and Safety in Nursing: A Competency Approach to Improving Outcomes. (pp. 251-266). Hoboken, N.J.:-Blackwell.
- Patrician, P.A., Dolansky, M. Estrada, C. Brennan, C., Miltner, R., Newsom, J., Olds, D., Splaine, M. & Moore, S. (2012). Interprofessional education in action: The VA Quality Scholar Fellowship Program. Nursing Clinics of North America. [July, 2013 Published on-line ahead of print].
- Aungst, H., Ruhe, M., Stange, K.C., Allan, T.M., Borawski, E.A., Drummond, C.K., Fischer, R.L., Fry, R. L., Kahana, E., Lalumandier, J. A., Mehlman, M., Moore, S. M. (2012). Boundary spanning and health: Invitation to a learning community. London Journal of Primary Care, 4, 109-115.
- Moore, S.M. (2012). Scientific reasons for including persons with disabilities in clinical and translational diabetes research. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. 6(2),
- Dolansky, M.A., Zullo, M.D., Boxer, R.S. Moore, S. M. (2011). Initial efficacy of a cardiac rehabilitation transition program: Cardiac TRUST. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 37(12), 36-44. PMID 22084960.
- Dolansky, M., Zullo, M. D., Boxer, R. S., Moore, S. M. (2011). Initial efficacy of a cardiac rehabilitation transition program: Cardiac TRUST.Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 37(12), 36-44. doi: 10.3928/00989134-20111103-01.
- Williams, A. S., Moore, S. M. (2011). Universal Design of Research: Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Mainstream Biomedical Studies.Science Translational Medicine, 3(82), 82cm12.
- Miller, D. M., Moore, S. M., Fox, R. J., Atreja, A., Fu, A. Z., Lee, J. C., Saupe, W., Stadtler, S., Chakraborty, S., Harris, C. M., Rudick, R. A. (2011). Web-based self-management for patients with multiple sclerosis: a practical randomized trial. and e-Health. Telemedicine Journal and e-health, 17(1), 5-13.
- Moore, S. M., Charvat, J., Alemi, F., Gordon, N. H., Ribisl, P., Rocco, M. (2011).Improving Lifestyle Exercise in Cardiac Patients: Results of the System CHANGE Trial (vol. 124, A13341). Circulation.
- Moore, S. M., Charvat, J. (2011).Longitudinal relationship of self-efficacy and exercise following cardiac events. Annals of Behavioral Medicine.
- IMPACT Study: Targeting Obesity in Urban Youth
- System CHANGE Study: Improving Long-Term Exercise in Older Cardiac Patients
- Center for Excellence for Self-Management Advancement through Research and Translation (SMART)
- Fellowship Training Program at FPB School of Nursing
- Full Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (FIND) in Self-Management Research Lab
- Systems Thinking: Advancing the Science of Continuous Quality Improvement