Matthew Plow, PhD
- Rehabilitation and telemedicine
- Disability and wellness promotion
- Physical activity and Physical function
- Behavior change
Current Research Projects
- Principal Investigator, Developing and testing a SystemCHANGE weight management intervention in stroke survivors, American Heart Association: Beginning Grant-in-Aid (11BGIA7710003)
- Principal Investigator, Randomized controlled trial of a teleconference fatigue management plus physical activity intervention in adults with multiple sclerosis, National Multiple Sclerosis Society (RG4665-A-1)
- Principal Investigator, Examining a System CHANGE intervention in immune-mediated diseases, National Institutes of Health (1K01NR012975-01A1)
- Principal Investigator, Examining the efficacy of computer tablets to promote behavior change in people with disabilities, Research Program Committee: Clinical & Translational Science Collaborative
Recently Completed Research Projects
- Principal Investigator, Promoting Physical Activity in Adults with Multiple Sclerosis. National Institutes of Health (RO3HD060073-01A)
- Principal Investigator, Evaluating the benefits of Nintendo Wii Fit in people with MS, International Consortium of MS Centers
- Principal Investigator, Compare the effectiveness of a group wellness intervention to physical therapy in individuals with multiple sclerosis. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (R36 HS015554-01)
- Exercise science
- Disability and Physical function
- Clinical trial design
- Mixed methods
- BA, Athletic Training, Denison University
- PhD, Rehabilitation Science, University of Minnesota
- Post-doctoral fellowship, funded by Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Brown University
- Post-doctoral fellowship, funded by National Multiple Sclerosis Society, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Plow, M., Bethoux, F., McDaniel, C., McGlynn, M., Marcus, B. Randomized controlled pilot study of customized pamphlets to promote physical activity and symptom self-management in women with multiple sclerosis. Clinical Rehabilitation, 2014; 28(2):139-48.
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M. A qualitative study exploring the usability of Nintendo Wii Fit among persons with multiple sclerosis. Occupational Therapy International, 2013; doi: 10.1002/oti.1345.
- Plow, M., Moore, S., Kirwan, J., Katzan, I., Alberts, J. Evaluating a SystemCHANGE weight management intervention in stroke survivors: rationale and research protocol. Trials. 2013; 14: 130.
- Plow, M., Bethoux, F., Finlayson, M., Motl, R. Randomized controlled trial of a teleconference fatigue management plus physical activity intervention in adults with multiple sclerosis: rationale and research protocol. BMC Neurology. 2012; 12: 122.
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M., Cho, C. Correlates of nutritional behaviors in individuals with multiple sclerosis. Disability and Health Journal. 2012; 5(4):284-91
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M. A qualitative study of nutritional behaviors in adults with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 2012; 44(6):337-50.
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M., Cho, C. Correlates of stages of change for physical activity in adults with multiple sclerosis. Research in Nursing & Health, 2011; 34(5): 378-88
- Plow M., McDaniel C., Linder S., Alberts JL. A scoping review of exergaming for adults with systemic disabling conditions. Journal of Bioengineering & Biomedical Science, 2011; nS1:002.
- Finlayson, M., Preissner, K., Cho, C., Plow, M. Randomized trial of a teleconference-delivered fatigue management program for people with multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis Journal, 2011; 17(9):1130.
- Plow, M., Finlayson, M. A scoping review of self-management interventions for adults with multiple sclerosis. PM&R: The Journal of Injury, Function and Rehabilitation, 2011; 3: 251-262.
- Plow, M., Resnik L., Allen S. Correlates of physical activity among low-income older adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 2011; 30(5): 629.
- Finlayson, M., Plow, M., Cho, C. Use of physical therapy services among middle aged and older adults with Multiple Sclerosis. Physical Therapy, 2010; 90(11): 1607-1618.
- Plow, M., Cho, C., Finlayson, M. Utilization of health promotion and wellness services among middle-aged and older adults with multiple sclerosis in the mid-west US. Health Promotion International, 2010; 25(3): 318-330.
- Finlayson, M., Peterson, L., Fujimoto, K., Plow, M. Rasch validation of the falls prevention Strategies Survey. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2009; 90(12): 2039-2046.
- Resnik, L., Plow, M. Measuring participation as defined by the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF): An evaluation of existing measures. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2009; 90(5): 856-866.
- Resnik, L., Plow, M., Jette, A. Development of CRIS: A measure of community reintegration of injured services members. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 2009; 46(4): 469-480.
- Plow, M., Resnik L., Allen S. Exploring physical activity behavior in persons with multiple sclerosis: A qualitative pilot study. Disability & Rehabilitation, 2009; 31(20): 1652-65.
- Plow, M., Mathiowetz, V. Lowe, D. Comparing the effectiveness of a group wellness intervention to individualized physical rehabilitation in persons with multiple sclerosis. American Journal of Health Promotion, 2009; 24(1): 23-26.