Joachim G. Voss, PhD, RN, ACRN, FAAN
The Sarah C. Hirsh Professor
Dr. Voss is a Professor at Case Western Reserve University at the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing. He came to the US as a Fulbright Scholar and received his PhD from UCSF in 2003, followed by a three-year postdoctoral fellowship at the NIH. He spent 9 years at the University of Washington (UW) in Seattle, where he conducted interprofessional bench-to-bedside research and treatment approaches for fatigue and mitochondrial dysfunction in patients with HIV and cancer.
His work utilizes both basic and applied methodologies to foster the understanding of underlying mechanisms in fatigue and sleep management of HIV and other chronically ill patients. Since 2008, he has become a recognized leader in global health and holds a joint appointment with the UW Global Health Department as mentor for the Afya Bora Consortium.
His educational interests focuses on the implementation of evidence-based practice and the understanding of big data. He has taught in the undergraduate and graduate program related to medical-surgical topics, research methods and philosophy. He has been a mentor to more than 30 interprofessional graduate and undergraduate students in nursing, public health, global health and bioengineering. Many of which have published in peer-reviewed journal and presented at national and international conferences.
He is interested in leadership training of healthcare professionals to meet the challenges of the 21st century including writing, communication and leadership. His teaching philosophy is that all students should at the end of their education become a mentor and hold a position in which they impact patient care, research, education and service, and become an active member of the profession.
Degrees and Alma Maters
- PhD in Nursing University of California San Francisco
- Master’s equivalent in Nursing Education University of Bremen Germany
- RN Kreiskrankenhaus Moeckmuehl, Germany
- Settheekul, S., Fongkaew, W., Viseskul, N., Boonchieng, Voss, J. G. (2016). Innovative, But What About Sustainability? Lessons Learned in Nursing and Midwifery Workforce Development. Annals of Global Health, 82(3), 464.
- Taibi Buchanan, D., McCurry, S. M., Eilers, K., Applin, S., Williams, E., Voss, J. G. (2016). Brief Behavioral Treatment for Insomnia in Persons Living with HIV. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 1-18. doi: 10.1080/15402002.2016.1188392 [Epub ahead of print].
- Webel, A. R., Perazzo, J., Decker, M. J., Horvat-Davey, C., Sattar, A., Voss, J. G. (2016). Physical Activity is Associated with Reduced Fatigue in Adults Living with HIV/AIDS. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 72(12), 3104-3112. doi: 10.1111/jan.13084.
- Voss, J. G. (2016). Impressions of the 21st International AIDS Conference in Durban, South Africa. The Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care: JANAC, 27(6), 748-751. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.08.003.
- Perazzo, J., Haas, S., Webel, A. R., Voss, J. G. (2016). Role of the Internet in Care Initiation by People Living With HIV. Research in Nursing & Health, doi: 10.1002/nur.21769. [Epub ahead of print].
- Monroe-Wise, A., Mashalla, Y., O’Malley, G., Nathanson, N., Seloilwe, E., Gachuno, O., Odero, T., Nakanjako, D., Sewankambo, N., Tarimo, E., Urassa, D., Manabe, Y., Chapman, S., Voss, J. G., Wasserheit, J., Farquhar, C., Afya Bora Consortium Working Group. Academic Medicine (2016). Training Tomorrow’s Leaders in Global Health: Impact of the Afya Bora Consortium Fellowship on the Careers of its Alumni. Academic Medicine, 16(1), 241. doi: 10.1186/s12909-016-0750-x.
- Sullivan, K., Dawson Rose, C., Holzemer, W. L., Johnson, M. O., Wantland, C. D., Webel, A. R., Nicholas, P. K., Voss, J. G., Tyer-Viola, L., Portillo, C., Kirksey, K., Phillips, J. C., Brion, J., Corless, I. B., Iipinge, S., Nokes, K., Sefcik, E., Reid, P., Rivero-Mendez, M., Chaiphibalsarisdi, P., Eller, L. S., Chen, W. T. (2016). Sexual Transmission-Risk Behaviour Among HIV-Positive Persons: A Multisite Study Using Social Action Theory. Journal of Advanced Nursing, doi: 10.1111/jan.13087.
- Ousman, K., Polomano, R. C., Seloilwe, E., Odero, T., Tarimo, E., Mashalla, Y. J., Voss, J. G., O'Malley, G., Chapman, S. A., Gachuno, O., Manabe, Y., Nakanjako, D., Sewankambo, N., Urassa, D., Wasserheit, J. N., Wiebe, D. J., Green, W., Farquhar, C. (2016). Interprofessional Fellowship Training for Emerging Global Health Leaders in Africa to Improve HIV Prevention and Care: The Afya Bora Consortium. The Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care: JANAC, 27(3), 331-43. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.01.009.
- Voss, J. G., Harmon, J. L. (2016). Working Toward 21(st) Century Interprofessional Workforce Training and Leadership in HIV Care. The Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care: JANAC, 27(3), 199-202. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.02.013.
- Kohler, P. K., Okanda, J., Kinuthia, J., Mills, L. A., Olilo, F., Laserson, K. F., et al. (2015) Community-based evaluation of PMTCT uptake in Nyanza Province, Kenya. PLOS One, 9(10), e110110.
- Nicholas, J., Voss, J. G., Tsuji, J., Fulkerson, N. D., Soulakova, J., & Schneider, B. S. (2015). Time course of chemokine expression and leukocyte infiltration after acute skeletal muscle injury in mice. Innate Immunnity, 21(3), 266-274.
- Webel, A., Wantland, D., Dawson-Rose, C., Kemppainen, J., Holzemer, W. L., Chen, W. T., et al. (2014). A cross-sectional relationship between social capital, self-compassion and perceived HIV symptoms. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, pii: S0885-3924(15)00067-6.
- Ward, T. M., Voss, J. G., Yuwen, W., Foell, D., Gohar, F., & Ringold, S. (2015). Sleep fragmentation and biomarkers in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Biological Research for Nursing (Epub ahead of print).
- O’Connor, R., Dobra, A., Voss, J. G., Pihoker, C., & Doorenbos, A. (2015). Differences in East African Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Black Youth with Type 1 Diabetes in the U.S. Journal of Pediatric Nursing (in press).
- Hosey, K., Gross, J., Kalula, A., & Voss, J. (2016). Establishing an online continuing and professional development library for nurses and midwives in east, central and southern Africa. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (in press).
Accreditations and Awards
- UW Undergraduate Research Mentor Award, 2010
- Faculty Fellow for the Adaptive Solutions for Human Health and the Environment Initiative, 2010
- Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing, 2014
- Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Excellence in Service Learning Award, 2014
- Design Corps Public Interest Design Award Global Winner, 2014
- Social Environmental Design (SEED) Award for Excellence in Public Interest Design, 2014
- ANA Luther Chrisman Award, 2015