Palliative Care Specialty
The Palliative Care Specialty at the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
There's a growing need for advanced practice Palliative Care nurses — they serve as critical lifelines for patients with life-limiting illnesses and their families. These nurses provide expert care to patients focusing on the management of complex symptoms.
Caring for patients within hospitals and clinics, as well as in hospice and palliative care programs and at home, advanced practice Palliative Care nurses meet an urgent need in the transformation of care. There’s never been a better time for these nurse leaders to make a difference in the lives of patients and their families.
FPB’s Palliative Care Specialty offers leading-edge research, clinical practice, and education for undergraduate students, established nurse professionals, doctoral candidates, and research scholars. You can also receive a post-master's certificate upon completion of the core courses.
Palliative Care Courses:
|Course ID||Course Title||Credits||Semester|
|NURS 421||Foundations of Palliative Care||1 credit||Fall|
|NURS 422||Advanced Communication Strategies for Health Care Professionals||1 credit||Fall|
|NURS 423||Palliative Care in Specialized Populations||1 credit||Spring|
|NURS 424||Advanced Symptom Management||1 credit||Spring|
|NURS 399||Practicum in Palliative Care: Independent Study||1 credit||Optional|
*Courses will be offered sequentially, but palliative care courses can be taken in any order upon completion of the introductory course NURS 421. Evaluation methods will include case study assignments, group assignments, reflective reading assignments and other applicable work designed to promote integration of the material into clinical practice.
- Flexible curriculum for both full-time and part-time students either with an MSN or Post-Master's Certificate
- May be completed in two semesters in conjunction with the MSN.
- Courses offered in intensive format
- Optional practicum with certified advanced practice palliative care nurses
- World-renowned educators and clinical partners
- University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic
- Hospice of the Western Reserve
- And more...
- Opportunities available to participate with faculty in research in palliative care
Molly J. Jackson DNP, APRN, NP-C, ACHPN